Two men, both seriously ill, occupied the same hospital room.
One man was allowed to sit up in his bed for an hour each afternoon to help drain the fluid from his lungs.
His bed was next to the room’s only window.
The other man had to spend all his time flat on his back.
The men talked for hours on end.
They spoke of their wives and families, their homes, their jobs, their involvement in the military service, where they had been on vacation..
Every afternoon, when the man in the bed by the window could sit up, he would pass the time by describing to his roommate all the things he could see outside the window.
The man in the other bed began to live for those one hour periods where his world would be broadened and enlivened by all the activity and color of the world outside.
The window overlooked a park with a lovely lake.
Ducks and swans played on the water while children sailed their model boats. Young lovers walked arm in arm amidst flowers of every color and a fine view of the city skyline could be seen in the distance.
As the man by the window described all this in exquisite details, the man on the other side of the room would close his eyes and imagine this picturesque scene.
One warm afternoon, the man by the window described a parade passing by.
Although the other man could not hear the band - he could see it in his mind’s eye as the gentleman by the window portrayed it with descriptive words.
Days, weeks and months passed.
One morning, the day nurse arrived to bring water for their baths only to find the lifeless body of the man by the window, who had died peacefully in his sleep.
She was saddened and called the hospital attendants to take the body away.
As soon as it seemed appropriate, the other man asked if he could be moved next to the window. The nurse was happy to make the switch, and after making sure he was comfortable, she left him alone.
Slowly, painfully, he propped himself up on one elbow to take his first look at the real world outside.
He strained to slowly turn to look out the window besides the bed.
It faced a blank wall.
The man asked the nurse what could have compelled his deceased roommate who had described such wonderful things outside this window.
The nurse responded that the man was blind and could not even see the wall.
She said, ‘Perhaps he just wanted to encourage you.’
There is tremendous happiness in making others happy, despite our own situations.
Shared grief is half the sorrow, but happiness when shared, is doubled.
If you want to feel rich, just count all the things you have that money can’t buy.
- serein8 likes this
- mckenzieestribich likes this
- johnlockistrueandyouknowit reblogged this from zhuzhuzhu
- eternalmcfly likes this
- blarceny likes this
- stevensz reblogged this from zhuzhuzhu
- frozen-rat likes this
- early-word-special reblogged this from meetmeatthemonkeydisco
- floridakilas reblogged this from foreverseekingtruth
- always-striving likes this
- ittsalyssuuuh reblogged this from michellexmars
- r-a-a-a-c-h-e-l likes this
- michellexmars reblogged this from supreme-mexicana
- michellexmars likes this
- craftideaeveryday likes this
- lilopleasehold reblogged this from sinophilia and added:
- ponchifer reblogged this from sinophilia
- spacebasketcase likes this
- josrofosho reblogged this from sinophilia
- josrofosho likes this
- tehfearlessfoxx reblogged this from playyinwithfire
- myatmosphereishere reblogged this from playyinwithfire
- myatmosphereishere likes this
- early-word-special likes this
- you-dont-know-me-nor-do-i reblogged this from m1xtap3s
- traceecatherine reblogged this from oreokisses
- kidslikepunk likes this
- mylifeasninasofie likes this
- meetmeatthemonkeydisco reblogged this from foreverseekingtruth
- appleseed likes this
- pseuglam reblogged this from sinophilia
- yvette-shalala reblogged this from ayeee-adasia
- irinabel13 likes this
- whoopdeshoop reblogged this from ayeee-adasia
- whoopdeshoop likes this
- loudproudandme reblogged this from foreverseekingtruth
- zhuzhuzhu reblogged this from sinophilia
- zhuzhuzhu likes this
- the-b-e-a-utifuldisaster reblogged this from feardabr0w
- tyquanginger reblogged this from foreverseekingtruth
- oreokisses reblogged this from ayeee-adasia
- m1xtap3s reblogged this from ayeee-adasia
- thesax0ffender reblogged this from foreverseekingtruth
- feardabr0w reblogged this from soccersblackstar
- ayeee-adasia reblogged this from soccersblackstar
- ayeee-adasia likes this
- to-pang-ga likes this
- notbr0kejustbentt likes this